Some
times brilliant, sometimes tragically ordinary observations on life from a pistol-packing neo-con

Thursday, July 21, 2005

LITTLE STEPS

Xiao Li took a taxi to Maia's house today by himself. Doesn't sound like much but it's a small step forward for him. He still gets tired quickly and since he's now missing part of one lung I expect that won't change.

The thing we have to do now is to get him to think good thoughts and not dwell on his disease. None of us is guaranteed any days on this Earth, so there's no reason why he should sit around thinking morbid thoughts, which is what he's been doing. Maybe he'll be dead in five years, maybe he won't. Maybe we'll all be dead in five years. Who knows? I sure don't think I'm guaranteed the next five, so just live them one day at a time and thank God every morning when you wake up and it's a new day and you're still alive. Works for me.

I haven't heard when they're going to start the chemo treatments. I would assume it would be pretty soon. We gave him a bunch of folic acid tablets, which should help his body deal with the insult from the chemo. At least that's what I've been told by other people who have had relatives go through chemo.
\

No comments: