Some
times brilliant, sometimes tragically ordinary observations on life from a pistol-packing neo-con

Friday, May 14, 2010

THE HILLS ARE ALIVE WITH THE SOUND OF--ORIOLES

Truth be told, we don't have too many hills around here. Couple steep ones into and out of the Vermilion River valley, but that's about it. Just wanted to play off the The Sound of Music song because many birdsongs are just as melodious as the finest music ever written.

Out walking myself and the dog yesterday afternoon when I heard an unfamiliar birdsong. Actually, it was birdsongs, plural. I could tell exactly where the song was coming from, but try as I might, I couldn't locate its source.

I whipped out my iPhone and recorded a minute of the song, thinking I might could email it to a naturalist somewhere to find out what it was. But even though the song was loud and plain to my ears, the recorded version sounded as if the bird were way far away.

Just as I gave up and started to walk away, three birds came busting out of the trees and flew about 30 feet away into some shorter trees. I got only a partial glimpse in flight, but I did see black and orange and for some reason American redstart popped into my head, probably because I had been talking about redstarts with someone earlier in the week.

I kept walking and saw one of the birds perched in a tree and I saw the error of my ways. This birds had a bright orange breast and lower body. Aha! Baltimore oriole. When he flew across in front or me no more than 15 feet away I knew I was now right.

The male Baltimore oriole is a superb bird. There may be more stunning birds--Indigo Bunting, Painted Bunting, Scarlet Tanager--but I think the Bawlamer Oriole give them all a good run for their money.

Take a look at this picture taken by Terry Sohl of Brandon, South Dakota, in his yard. I don't think I've ever seen as stunning a picture of the bird as this one. Great work, Terry.

http://sdakotabirds.com/species_photos/photos/baltimore_oriole_1.jpg

I've always believed if you want to see the hand of God, just look at nature. Evolution and religion are only in conflict if you believe every story in the Bible is literally true.




No comments: